Sunday, February 16, 2014

21 the hard way

Today was our last long run before the LA marathon next month, this was a run with the dealer giving us an Ace, 9 and a 3 to start but we drew some good cards and finished with 21 to show for it.  The recent snow storm in DC left the local running trails snow and ice packed which basically gave us one alternative for our long run, two out and backs on Beach Drive in DC.  I think I would rather watch a Finding Bigfoot marathon hosted by Dean Cain than run back and forth on a road for 21 miles.  Clearly we were not the only ones with this idea as we passed several other runners on the route all wishing for warmer weather and better running conditions.  Not my idea of a great route or good conditions for this kind of distance but I also knew the mental challenge of getting this done would be good for future racing, especially the two loops we would be running at the Ironman in Zurich.

One thing I enjoy about marathons and triathlons is the training, I have always believed it is more about the journey than the destination for these events and today was a perfect example.  Running for me is like meditation, especially when you are out on the road for three hours.  Lots of time to reflect on things and what is really important in life, sort through problems, realize issues at work are not that big of a deal, and remember how fortunate I am for all of the good family and friends I have supporting me along the way.  That is drawing the 7 on the hard 13. 

We both finished the run, a little disappointed in our overall average pace, but glad it is done and now looking forward to the race and all the fun that goes along with traveling to a new location.  I think we are both of the same mind that no more early season marathons in the future where we have to factor in weather, but a marathon in April or May (if we get into London) sounds excellent.  As hard as the run was this will be a day I will remember when I am old and gray (maybe it is more accurate to say older and grayer) because we rose up to the challenge and completed the task, the rewards far outweigh any struggles.  And a perfect reward includes the couch, episodes of Breaking Bad, and splitting one of these.  Now if only the Mexican joint would deliver.

Double Chocolate Stout from Rogue Brewing



No comments:

Post a Comment