Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Post Holiday wrap-up

 
I am not a big fan of this time of year, short days, cold nights, bad weather, sun hanging low in the sky, and the end of college football season.  But instead of spending my time whining about all of those things I can’t change I am thankful for all of the good things that came my way in 2013.  We moved into a new home, finished a half-ironman in PR times, welcomed a new puppy, celebrated Thanksgiving with family, and accepted the challenge of an Ironman in 2014.  
Jen and I finished the year with a fantastic holiday season.  So many highlights that I won’t remember all of them but I wanted to get a few down in the blog so I don’t forget and as a reminder of all of the good things to come our way in 2014.   
Christmas Eve service and singing carols at a beautiful stone church in Alexandria.
Our first attempt at rack of lamb on Christmas Day and a special guest appearance by our own Coach T that evening.

A relaxing get away to the Inn at Willow Grove 
Our first hike with Islay on the trails around Lake Accotink.
Jen and Islay on the trails at Lake Accotink

Quiet evening at home on New Year’s Eve enjoying grilled steaks and crab cakes.  I am too embarrassed to mention what time we went to bed that night but we did complete a 3,200 meter swim that day so give me a break, I am old.
Visiting the museums on New Year’s Day in DC and seeing a great film about Jerusalem at the Natural History Museum and a photo exhibit at the National Geographic museum.  We finished the day with some fine craft cocktails at the Quill in the Jefferson Hotel.
One of the great photos at the National Geographic Museum exhibit
Good thing we did not miss a day of training during all of this or I would need a pair of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment