Monday, November 4, 2013

There is no place....

Those are the words that are the beginning to my alma mater's fight song.  I was reminded of them as Jen and I stood in a parking lot tailgating with my friends before the Nebraska football game this weekend.  As I think back about the weekend, I am reminded of how much those words ring true. 

Fall is my favorite season, great time to be out running or riding with cooler temps and the changing colors of the leaves.  Another reason I love fall is college football and espeically my beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers.  My youth is filled with memories of listening to the game on the radio while we cut firewood on some farmer's property or attending games in person with my parents.  I have been lucky to see some of the greatest plays in Nebraska football history at Memorial Stadium including the 1978 upset of OU.  Little did I know I would be there for history in the making this last weekend when Jen and I traveled back to my home state (where N stands for knowledge and sheep are nervous) to attend the Northwestern game and spend time with my friends Jim and Peg.   My Huskers beat Jen's Wildcats with a last second hail mary touchdown catch but the real joy of the day was spending time with Jen and my good friends.


Jen jumped on the Husker bandwagon this weekend

Some highlights from our weekend included some fantastic cocktails at the Boiler Room in Omaha on Friday evening and one of the best vesper martini's I have ever had.  The spicy bloody mary Jim whipped up for us for pre-game with slim jim's were pretty tasty as well.  Like breakfast in a glass.

Jen and I managed to get in our training too.  Peg led us on an eight mile run around Zorinsky Lake on Saturday, beautiful clear morning and the leaves were in full splendor



Brotherhood and Hamms
Jim provided the beer and the food for our pre-game tailgate including Schlitz, Hamms, and Dean's French Onion Dip.  It was great to spend time with my good friend and fraternity brother Tom Olson (aka Lisco).  He must be good luck because I was with him when Nebraska beat Missouri on a last minute touchdown catch in 1997.


Leftover french onion dip
The icing on the cake for our day was seeing the results from the Florida Ironman and our own Coach T crushing the race.  If I fail at this Ironman thing, I can't blame it on my coach.

So yes, there really is no place like Nebraska, where the boys are squarest and the girls are the fairest, dear old Nebraska U.  GBR!






 



No comments:

Post a Comment