Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I'm a swimmer. Who knew?

Note, I didn't say I was a good swimmer, but after swimming 2 miles in one session on Saturday, I think I now officially qualify.

I was recently reading an interview with a local triathlete who was a first-time Kona qualifier this year.  The interviewer asked the predictable question - "which sport is your favorite?" - to which she replied, "swimming."  I had a most shocking reaction.  I agreed with her!  I started swimming begrudgingly in July of 2010 to keep myself from gaining 20 pounds while fighting a knee injury.  It wasn't too long ago that I was uttering sentences like "I won't ever do a triathlon because of the swim."  I didn't enjoy swimming, I thought it was kind of dumb, and most of all I was intimidated by the washing-machine experience in triathlon swims.  In three short years, not only has swimming opened up the world of triathlon to me, it has become my favorite leg.

1. It doesn't hurt.  Unlike cycling and running, I never get out of the pool in pain.  Tired, yes...hurting, no.  No impact, no joint pressure, just smooth motion.

2.  The solitude.  There is no music, no talking, no scenery, and unless you go to Washington & Lee on a weeknight, very few people.  It is just me and my thoughts.  As a true introvert, this is how I recharge my batteries.  I problem solve, I make to-do lists, I talk to myself...heck, I've even had a good cry while swimming.

3.  The technique.  Yes, of course, fitness matters in all sports.  But technique matters in swimming...a lot.  Much of my time in the pool I spend completely focused on my form.  Am I swimming straight?  Where are my hands going?  Is my weight balanced?  Am I pulling strong?  Let's ignore the fact that I may be doing lots of things wrong, but I like seeing noticeable improvements when I implement tips from experienced swimmers.

4.  Garmin free. Yes, there is the fancy new Garmin that tracks your distance and pace while swimming...but even if you have one (I don't) are you really going to stop and look at it?  And in a race, you don't know what's happening until you get out of the water.  You can stay focused on what you are doing.  Love that.

5.  Provides the only workouts in which I can legitimately keep up with Greg.

Debbie Downer that I am, there are still things I don't like about swimming.  Those are:

1.  Pool locker rooms.  A side of humanity I have spent a lifetime avoiding.

2.  Sharing lanes.  Hate it when this happens.  Splitting a lane I will do when necessary but swimming in circles with two + swimmers...really, is there anything worse?  To avoid this I generally go to the worst pools at the worst hours.  George Mason on a weekend is the exception -- beautiful pool and rarely crowded.

3.  Bathing suits in winter.  If I have any tan left it is the faint lines of my cycling shorts. 

4.  Water in my ears.  My coworkers who walk past my office after I've done a pre-work morning swim must think I am nuts...jumping around aggressively on one leg.

5.  Kick drills.  They take too long.

Overall, the pros clearly outweigh the cons.  So if you aren't doing a tri because of the swim...give it a go.  You might surprise yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Clarification on points #5 above, Jen kicks my tail in the pool except with a kick board. It is not even close and I am okay with that.

    ReplyDelete